From Dining at Monticello, Edited by Damon Lee Fowler:
DINE LIKE A FOUNDING FATHER! THOMAS JEFFERSON’S SWEET POTATO BISCUITS
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut in small pieces
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sweet potato, mashed (1 large sweet potato)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 450 F
2. Combine dry ingredients. Add butter and cut with fork, food processor or pastry cutter until texture is in small crumbs.
3. Combine milk and sweet potato. Add to flour mixture. Add chopped pecans.
4. Knead dough with your hands until it is smooth. Roll out on a floured surface to 1/2″ thickness and cut with 2″ biscuit cutter.
5. Place on a greased baking sheet 2″ apart.
6. Bake for about 10-15 minues, or until lightly browned.
Makes ten biscuits — Dine like a Founding Father!